Manchester United have officially submitted their 25-man Premier League squad
United have signed Altay Bayindir, Jonny Evans, Rasmus Højlund, Mason Mount, Andre Onana, Sofyan Amrabat, and Sergio Reguilon in the summer transfer window.
The club officially confirmed the inclusion of all seven new signings in the 25-man squad for the 2023/24 season on Wednesday. However, Højlund is an exception to this.
The Premier League rule states that Under-21 players don’t require squad registration. For this very reason, the club has excluded 20-year-old Højlund.
Instead, the Premier League instructed every club to submit a list of eligible U21 players, even if not included in the 25-man squad.
Premier League regulations further stipulate that each squad must include no more than 17 players who do not meet the ‘homegrown player’ criteria.
To qualify as homegrown, a player must have been part of an English club. This should be for a minimum of three years before turning twenty-one.
The Red Devils currently have nine homegrown players in the squad, which includes the new signings, Mount and Evans.
United have a longstanding history of giving opportunities to youngsters from their own academy. We’ll closely watch to see if any young talent manages to impress Ten Hag. This could potentially earn them a spot in the first-team lineup.
United’s longstanding history includes providing opportunities to youngsters from their academy. It remains uncertain if any current young talent will impress Ten Hag during the season.
More importantly, they have taken decisions on Antony and Jadon Sancho. The Brazilian winger is on a leave of absence to address legal matters while Sancho has seriously harmed his relationship with fans after posting a social media message questioning Ten Hag’s comments, where the Dutchman said that the English winger was dropped against Arsenal due to his lack of intensity in training.
More Manchester United News
- Manchester United centre-back Lisandro Martinez is fit to feature for Argentina against Bolivia in the World Cup qualifier match
- Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag plans to sign Bayer Leverkusen full-back Jeremie Frimpong to strengthen his defence next season
- New Manchester United captain Bruno Fernades makes admission about his new role
Fans eagerly anticipate a new talent donning the first-team jersey, following in Marcus Rashford’s footsteps. Legends like David Beckham, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes, and Ryan Giggs seized their opportunities, etching their names in football history.
The confirmed 25-man squad:
- Defenders: Diogo Dalot, Jonny Evans, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire, Tyrell Malacia, Lisandro Martinez, Sergio Reguilon, Luke Shaw, Raphael Varane, Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Midfielders: Sofyan Amrabat, Casemiro, Christian Eriksen, Bruno Fernandes, Scott McTominay, Mason Mount, Facundo Pellistri, Donny van de Beek
Heaton, Maguire, Shaw, Wan-Bissaka, Evans, Mount, Mctominay, Rashford, and Sancho are the homegrown players.